Dear DCS Community,
Welcome to the 2018-2019 school year! We are off to a fantastic start – and have so much to celebrate!
Over the summer months, our Facilities Manager, Mr. Daniel Raddatz (along with a team of contractors, DCS staff and volunteers) oversaw some major upgrades to both our Wrightstown and Speedway campuses. Those upgrades included:
- New learning environments on the Wrightstown campus (i.e. Bilingual Preschool, Library, Art, and Music Rooms).
- Re-sealing and surfacing of the roofing on the Wrightstown campus buildings.
- The renovation of the High School Library into our new “Learning Lab and Resource Center”, which now includes in addition to a computer lab and library, a Conference Room, DCS Spirit Store, student study space, and offices for our Development and Admissions Team. It looks amazing! Come and see if you have not already.
- The renovation of the previous High School Student Services area into the new Skills Center, which will now support all students.
- The renovation of the High School “Hub” to accommodate offices for our IT Director and Dean of Students.
- The renovation of our gymnasium by G&J Development, which included insulating the walls and installing HVAC (so that we now have a climate-controlled facility), as well as new lighting and electrical.
- The installation of a new floor in the High School “Annex” (i.e. covered court); making this space far more useful and attractive. Also a BIG SHOUT OUT to the work and efforts of 6th grade teacher, Mr. Fred Boice, who volunteered hours upon hours on this project. Thanks, Fred!
All of the above projects and more were only possible this summer through the generous support and donations of our DCS community. We were able to address nearly all of these physical upgrades to our school without tuition dollars. So, an additional BIG THANK YOU to all those who are supporting us through their generous financial donations!
We are celebrating the expansion of a number of educational programs this year. Just a few of those school improvements include:
- The launch of Bilingual Preschool program
- The launch of our Elementary Spanish program
- The launch of our Skills Center program (i.e. Exceptional Education, English Language Learners, Gifted and Talented, and expanded International program)
- The expansion of our High School music program
Despite our overall enrollment being a little lower this year (due to graduating a large senior class and other factors affecting our community), we are celebrating the largest enrollment of new students in many years; welcoming 87 new students to DCS this year!
We are celebrating the new Tuition Assistance Program, through which we have been able to assist many DCS families, awarding over $140,000 in assistance this year!
We are celebrating and welcoming a number of new faculty and staff members this year. God has blessed us with tremendously gifted and qualified professionals who are also passionate about serving Christ through their service to our community.
As your Headmaster, I am celebrating the results from our 2017-2018 Parent, Employee Attitude & Opinion Survey. This survey is “normed” with similar Christian schools all across the USA, and according to SchoolRIGHT, who administers the survey, “the DCS mean score is 4% higher than the norm for all schools we survey.” A testimony to our faculty, staff, parents, and volunteers who help to make DCS “feel like family.”
I am also celebrating my own return to the classroom. This year, I will also be serving in the High School Bible Department, teaching students “Biblical Apologetics.” This course is a passion of mine, and I am very pleased to be a part of the faculty this year, working directly with students.
We are also celebrating the work of our Board of Trustees who have refined our school’s Mission Statement; clearly articulating our top priorities here at DCS.
The Mission of Desert Christian Schools is to:
- Pursue EXCELLENCE in Christian Education
- Foster CHRIST-CENTERED Relationships
- Endeavor to meet the UNIQUE Learning Needs of Every Student
That clearly stated mission is now driving all that we do now and in the years to come.
Finally, I close with our Theme Verse for the 2018-2019 school year:
“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength. This is the first commandment.” Mark 12:30 (MEV)
Have a wonderful year and please do not hesitate to call on me if I can be of assistance to you and your student in any way!
Yours for Christ,
Toby A. Travis, Ed.D.